Freelance Quantity Surveyor Newcastle Upon Tyne, Tyne And Wear, UK
Experienced SENIOR QUANTITY SURVEYOR with proven contracting and consulting track record leading teams able to work and meet each client’s individual requirements. Key strengths are communication, negotiation, dispute resolution and an organised, methodical and practical approach in controlling project finance to keep in budget and meet deadlines.
|Hourly Rate / Cost:||£35.29 per hour (ex. VAT)|
|Daily Rate / Cost:||£282.35 per day (ex. VAT)|
: Offers a discounted hourly rate to registered charities
|: Freelancer has their own limited company|
About QR Codes
people4 is the first employment business to generate QR codes.
Now users with a smart-phone scanning app can store this information - including job title, brief description and a link to this page - to use when ready to shortlist or set up a contract.
For more information, see the wikipedia article on QR Codes
CV (Curriculum Vitae) / Résumé
• Claims & Dispute Resolution
• Procurement Strategy
• Cost Planning
• Tendering & Contracts, e.g. FIDIC, JCT Suite, NEC.
• Negotiation & Presentation
• Client Relationship Management
• Finalised accounts on £1.6m National Power/Siemens power station project, saving Siemens £160k on items not previously accounted for.
• Successfully recovered £1.5m for contractor (including £500k extras) in a dispute resolution.
• Negotiated cost savings of between 5% and 15% on FF&E for the internal rooms on $100m Trump International Hotel and Tower project in Dubai.
(Sep 2008 & ongoing)
SENIOR QUANTITY SURVEYORLeeds/Manchester
Appointed with brief to resolve contractual variations dispute, Network Rail withholding notice clause 111, £1.1m from Jarvis (contractors) and Mott MacDonald (design engineers). Reported to Commercial Manager.
• Liaising with Jarvis engineer, clarified scope of works in variation narrative and identified further £500k not charged; presented breakdown of variations to Network Rail, negotiating approval and payment totalling £1.6m.
• Identified that no variation contract existed between Jarvis and Mott MacDonald; needed to refer to main contract clauses for payment mechanisms and process.
(Sep 2009 to Nov 2010)
Student part timeHome
MSc Construction Law & Dispute Resolution
Self-funding a 2-year distance learning p/t MSc course.
2nd year modules covered include:
Tortious & Statutory issues
Attended 4-day Paris workshop for Moot Assessment, conducting a practical trial.
(Apr 2008 to Aug 2008)
SENIOR QUANTITY SURVEYORDubai
Trump International Hotel & Tower, Jumeirah
48-storey, mixed-use condo-hotel with 300 5* rooms (Luxe, De-Luxe and Super), and 360 residential properties.
• First joint venture contract between Al-Nakeel and Trump International.
• Provisional cost planning for interior design budget for fixtures, fittings and equipment at 75% of concept design.
• Meetings with suppliers re kitchens, cookers, white goods, blinds, etc; identified and negotiated 15% cost savings on white goods and 5% on fitted kitchens.
• Benchmark cost plans submitted to client for approval.
• Cost planned north and south car parks for Halcrow on Jumeirah 1 km trunk road.
(Oct 2007 to Apr 2008)
SENIOR QUANTITY SURVEYORNewcastle upon tyne
Joined this firm of architects who offered construction management services to clients; main client was Aldi, who had retained their services for 10 years.
• Tender for Aldi Supermarkets stores, either new build or extension of current stores, tender analysis and procuring relevant subcontractors. Contract values usually c £500k new build and c £150k for extension, generating 12% net profit on contract.
• Managed cost planning and feasibility studies for new stores, including pre-start meetings with subcontractors, agreeing payment terms to subcontractors for completed works, and agreement and negotiation of final accounts and variations.
• Successfully negotiated further 5% cost reductions with regular subcontractors.
(Nov 2006 to Jan 2007)
Cost ManagerNewcastle upon tyne
• Finalised accounts on £1.6m National Power/Siemens power station project, saving Siemens £160k on items not previously accounted for. Created Bills of Quantities from measuring drawings using CESSM 3. Employers Agent on D & B Echo Homes project.
• Remeasure recovered £200k in extras on £1.3m Biodiesel plant for Green Energy on split 50:50 NEC/ICE 6th Edition due to insufficient drawings with tender. Remeasured all civil engineering structures for architect to update for the tender.
• Managed final account for a PFI Lancashire CC Waste Disposal Project and NEC form, on decommissioning Dounreay Nuclear Power Plant.
(Jul 2005 to Nov 2005)
Freelance Quantity SurveyorSunderland County Council, Sunderland
• Completed tender documentation for £9m school, including preparation of Bill of Quantities and measurement using Rypac.
(Aug 2002 to Apr 2004)
Project Quantity SurveyorLovell Partnerships Ltd, Newcastle upon tyne
• Prepared Bill of Quantities for projects valued from £500k to £1.2m. PPR Monthly reports.
• Placed orders with subcontractors, paid subcontractors and priced variations.
(Jan 2000 to Aug 2002)
Quantity SurveyorWS Atkins Facilities Management – Catterick Garrison , Catterick
• Worked with MOD on the refurbishment of Catterick Garrison; prepared tender documents; verified contractors’ work done as per schedule of works; paid contractors’ invoices and final accounts.
2009(Ongoing) MSc in Construction Law & Dispute Resolution
Certificate in Project Management APM
2005 Member Chartered Institute of Building MCIOB
1996 BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying Nottingham Trent University
1994 HND Civil Engineering QS Nottingham Trent University
Microsoft Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet.
(Oct 2009 to Sep 2010)
University Central Lancashire
MSc construction law & dispute resolution
Member of The Society of Construction Law.
Associate member of Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
( 2009 to )
Certificate in Project Management
(Jun 1990 to Jun 1996)
Nottingham Trent University
HND Civil Engineering Quantity Surveying
BSc (Hons) Quantity Surveying
(Sep 1986 to Sep 1990)
King Edward V1 School
9 GCSE 's
1 "A" Level
( to 2005)
Member Chartered Institute of Building
Dec1998-Jan 2000 QUANTITY SURVEYOR James R Knowles
• Set up invoicing system that reduced debtors from £150k to £5k in 12 months.
June 1997-Dec 1998 COST CONSULTANT High Point Rendel, Kuala Lumpur - KLIA
Costing design changes from the architect, airport floors/ceilings/ wall areas to arrive at a cost increase or reduction for the client on Kuala Lumpur International airport, Malaysia.
June1996-June1997 QUANTITY SURVEYOR Faithful & Gould Ltd
Cost consultant for Union Carbide on ICI Wilton - Teesside.
(This Candidate has recently been shortlisted or contracted for the following people4 assignments)
- Quantity Surveyor - Claims & Disputes: Claims and dispute quantity surveyor to resolve final accounts.
- Chartered Surveyors: Chartered surveyors required for London-based property services company. We provide services to both residential and commercial sectors for all types of projects from new build, alteration, refurbishment and fit out to planned preventative maintenance. We are looking for surveyors with expertise in: · Building surveying and project management · Building pathology and defect diagnosis · Party wall matters · Dilapidations · Design & specification · Feasibility and procurement
- Construction Drawings: Building Regulations/Construction drawings for a single storey detached house of approx 80sq.m (basement & ground). This could lead to regular work.
- Quantity Surveyor for Rail Project: Quantity Surveyor required to start immediately for Network Rail Resignalling Project, Preparation and negotiation of Final Account for first phase of civils based contract, with weekly input into producing monthly applications for payment and review of all commercial matters on an ongoing basis for current project matters on 2nd phase, reporting to directly to Managing Director.
- Junior Quantity Surveyor : Junior Quantity Surveyor required for a week to two weeks initially. There will be more work subsequently. Not enough work for a full-time role, but there will be more work on a project-by-project basis. Required ASAP. Ideally working in office. Please apply for more details.
Categories & Freelance Skills
- Bill Preparation (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience - Quantity Surveying/Cost Consulting)
- Defence (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Education (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Historic / Listed Buildings (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Hotel (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Leisure (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Leisure (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience - Property Development)
- Project Audit (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience - Quantity Surveying/Cost Consulting)
- Project Cost Management (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience - Quantity Surveying/Cost Consulting)
- Project Management (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Property Development (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Quantity Surveying/Cost Consulting (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Renovation (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Residential Housebuilding (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)
- Social Housing (Construction - Building & Construction - Experience)