Freelance Consultant Wakefield, West Yorkshire, UK
Java / JEE / JME Architect, Consultant, Developer, Mentor and Trainer
|Hourly Rate / Cost:||£76.47 per hour (ex. VAT)|
|Daily Rate / Cost:||£611.76 per day (ex. VAT)|
: Member of the Professional Contractors Group
About QR Codes
people4 is the first employment business to generate QR codes.
Now users with a smart-phone scanning app can store this information - including job title, brief description and a link to this page - to use when ready to shortlist or set up a contract.
For more information, see the wikipedia article on QR Codes
CV (Curriculum Vitae) / Résumé
Gary has been working in the commercial IT world since 1983 and has a wide and diverse skill set. In particular, Gary is involved with the technical architecture and development of multi-tier solutions based on Sun’s J2EE technologies.
Gary is working as J2EE architect / Senior developer within Borland’s Professional Services Organisation supporting Borland Customers at all levels through Europe.
Gary’s primary focus at present is the design, development and testing of applications based on Sun’s Java Technologies. This includes both the use of server and client side Java technologies and the customisation of Borland products via their Java Application Programmer Interfaces (API’s). In particular these include design practices using Borland’s Together toolset, development using Borland JBuilder technologies and also testing using Borland Tools such as Optimizeit and ServerTrace.
In addition he has also developed a Project Management Application in Personal Java for PDA and Desktop Systems which was released for sale in 2002. This application now has a user base in over 70 countries and was voted Number One wireless PDA business application at JPDA 2002 in the category of best Business / Office / Enterprise application. This prestigious world-wide competition was judged by specialists from Sun Microsystems, Sharp Electronics, Hewlett Packard, Compaq, Insignia Solutions and Softbank Publishing.
(May 2003 & ongoing)
Gary is currently working as a Java Consultant carrying out Architect, Design and Development tasks. For example, Gary is currently working 2 days / week as a Java Developer for one Borland Project. As well as providing senior consultant and design skills, Gary is also very ‘hands-on’ and involved with software development on a daily basis.
Gary also recently worked on a government project supplying Java and Tools knowledge to a major J2EE development using the Rational Unified Process J2EE roadmap.
Gary is working for Borland in their Professional Services Organisation supporting Borland Customers throughout Europe, the Middle East and Africa. He has been involved with long term assignments such as working as a Senior Designer on a security cleared government project between September 2003 and July 2004. Gary has also recently been working on a second MOD project for Borland Professional Services since June 2005, and is now the Borland Engagement Manager for this project.
Gary is responsible for supporting Borland customers using java based products such as JBuilder and Together across multiple vendor architectures. He therefore has in-depth knowledge of Serverside technologies based BEA Weblogic, Borland Application Server, JBoss, Tomcat and CORBA.
In particular Gary is involved with the support of Borland's Java products and is provides consultancy services relating to Java and Enterprise Java technologies. He therefore has knowledge of a number enterprise Java technologies including EJB (1.0, 1.1, 2.0,2.1 & 3.0), Servlets, JSP, J2ME, J2SE (Swing and AWT), CORBA, RMI, JMS, XML (SAX, DOM & JDOM), Web Services and SOAP.
(Sep 2006 to Apr 2007)
As well as working for Borland Professional Services during this period (see below), Gary has also been contracted to CodeGear (a separate subsidiary of Borland). During this period Gary has developed the JBuilder 2007 Essentials Training course for CodeGear. JBuilder 2007 consists of several additional plug-in to the Ecslipse SDK IDE.This course is now being taught to CodeGear’s customer base on a world-wide basis. This work was done alongside my Borland work, when Borland had a quiet period.
(Nov 2002 to May 2003)
Consultant + Development of Project ProfessionalBlakes
Gary is working for a company called Blakes and provided consultancy services to their Professional Services Organisation providing consultancy services around J2EE. The skill sets for this position are very similar to those for Borland in the previous example.
In addition, Gary was also working part time to produce both Desktop and Enterprise versions of his award winning Project Professional Project Management Application.
(Feb 2001 to Oct 2002)
ConsultantBorland Professional Services
Gary was working for Borland Professional Services and has returned to Borland in May 2003. Please look at current position details for further information.
(May 2000 to Jan 2001)
Java SpecialistEDS / Inland Revenue
Gary was responsible for the development and support of many infrastructure applications including development of Cached LDAP Service to Netscape’s LDAP Directory Service. His duties included:
• Weblogic Configuration, Set-Up and Testing.
• Design / Development of Application Services to be used by Weblogic Deployed Applications (e.g. LDAP).
• Development of Test Scripts for Performance Testing of J2EE Applications.
• Performance / Scalability Testing of the Weblogic Based Applications.
• Team Mentor. To provide support and assistance to team members.
• Tools Evaluation. To evaluate tools in the marketplace (e.g. code coverage tools for testing EJB's on the server side).
(Dec 1997 to May 2000)
Senior ConsultantDMR Consulting Group Limited
DMR Consulting Group is a consultancy supplying IT staff to various sectors within the UK. Gary was a Senior Consultant within DMR and has had a number of assignments during his employment with them. His most recent projects included:
• Java Architect / Designer – Capital One E-Commerce Project- January 2000 to May 2000
• Technical Project Leader / Sub Project Manager - NatWest Bank - September 1998 to January 2000
(Oct 1987 to Dec 1997)
Senior ConsultantMcDonnell Information Systems
Senior Technical Consultant & Product / Development Manager - Systems Integration / New Technology Evaluation
When working for MDIS, Gary was a Senior Consultant within MDIS’s Public Sector Division (Health & Local Government).Working as a Technical / Product Consultant Gary was responsible for the Systems Integration approach of MDIS which included many tasks including Systems Analysis / Design, Technical Evaluation, Project Sizing / Estimating, Team Management, Sales and Marketing.
Gary also towards the end of his career was involved with the evaluation of new development environments which may be of use to MDIS in the future. This included an extensive analysis of Java 0.98 beta, 1.02 & 1.1 development kits. Gary has been working the Java platform ever since.
(1986 to Jun 1986)
Principal Analyst ProgrammerMid Sussex District Council
(Feb 1983 to Jun 1986)
Development ManagerSharp & Law Computer Systems
(Feb 1983 to 1986)
Principal Analyst ProgrammerSheffield City Council
MSc Computing in Commerce & Industry.
Bachelor of Law Huddersfield University
City & Guilds 746 Data Processing
A-Level Computer Science
6 CSE Grade 1 (O'Level Equivalents)
Gary’s primary focus is technologies based on Sun’s Java Programming language including Design, Development and Implementation technologies. Specifically Gary has spent time working with Borland and has gained knowledge in both the ALM process and customisation of Borland Tools. Gary also has broad experience of working in projects with a number of technical infrastructures including the following key areas:
Public Sector. (Security Cleared to SC)
Team / Project Leading & Management.
Consultant / Trainer.
Pre / Post Sales & Consultancy Support.
Methodologies / Techniques
Programming, Devleopment & Design
TDD using JUnit.
UML (1.4 & 2.0)
Java Server Side Specialist
Prince 2 Project Management.
Object Orientated Analysis / Design
IFPUG Function Point Analysis.
ATG Dynamo Personalisation Server.
Enterprise Java (EJB, JDBC, RMI, Servlets).
Borland Visibroker 4.1.
Borland Application Server 4.5/5.
DSDM Project Manager.
C Programming (Intro. & Advanced).
Introduction to Oracle SQL (Part I & II).
Sales & Communication Skills.
IFPUG Function Point Analysis.
= Experience >5 years.
= Experience 2 to 5 years.
= Experience up to 2 years.
Java (JDK’s 1.02, 1.1, 1.2 & 1.3,1.4,5 & 6).
EJB (1.0,1.1,2.0,2.1 & 3.0)
Servlets / JSP
JMS (VisiMessage, SoniqMQ and Tibco via Borland Application Server)
Java JEE (1.0,1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 & 5).
JME / Personal Java.
Java Optimisation / Profiling
XML (Including JDOM, SAX and Pure XML)
SQL Including Oracle, SQLServer and MySQL..
StarTeam Java SDK’s.
Borland Optimizeit & Borland ServerTrace
Microsoft Project, PMW and Project Professional
JBuilder (2,4,5,6,7,8,9,X,2005,2006 & 2007).
Borland Together UML Modelling Tools using UML 1.4 & 2.0.
Borland Enterprise Server 4.1.1, 4.5, 5.x, & 6.x.
BEA Weblogic 4.5.1,5.1, 6.0,6.1,7 & 8.1.
JBoss Application Server 3.x & 4.x.
CaliberRM & SDK
Sun / Solaris.
Windows 3.1 / 95 / 98 / ME / NT / 2000 / 2003 Server, XP and Vista.
PDA’s using Pocket PC 2000,2002,2003,Windows Mobile and Embedded Linux
- Find Architects with Design skills in Wakefield.
- Find Architects with Management skills in Wakefield.
- Find Architects with Project skills in Wakefield.
- Find Architects with Project Manager skills in Wakefield.
- Find Architects with Development skills in Wakefield.
- Find Architects with Project Management skills in Wakefield.
(This Candidate has recently been shortlisted or contracted for the following people4 assignments)
- TIBCO CONSULTANT: TIBCO Consultant === 12 month contract in Amsterdam, Netherlands === Experience of multiple assignments on BPM SOA Experience in defining (medium to large scale) Integration Architectures, Design patterns, Security architecture, Service Oriented Architecture In-depth knowledge on TIBCO BPM and ESB suite (BW, EMS, AMX, iProcess, Adapters)
- LAMP developer: Wanted IT developer with exposure to an enterprise scale system developed in MySQL. Expertise in MySQL is vital as system architecture is based on Linux, MySQL and Java rather than standard LAMP. Three month minimum contract in one of three locations. Work will be onsite, not remote working.
- Java Trainer: We have a requirement for a closed class on 'How to create secure code with Java' and 'How to break secure software'. We can pay your daily rate plus travel and accomadation. Also if this course goes well there will be plenty of other opportunties.
- Software Architect - London/Kent: Software Architect required to travel around, work can be done remotely. The role will be to take briefs from customers and liaise with technical IT guys to develop/design software. Ideally need to have experience with software security systems and experience with mobile turn up application would benefit but not essential.
Categories & Freelance Skills
- Application Development
- Database Development & Admin
- Electronic Data Interchange
- IT Management
- IT Tools/Middleware
- Operating Systems
- Project Management
- Security Clearance
- Server Software
- Web Development/Prog
- 10G (Database Development & Admin - Oracle)
- 9i Application Server (Database Development & Admin - Oracle)
- 9i Database Enterprise (Database Development & Admin - Oracle)
- 9i Database Standard (Database Development & Admin - Oracle)
- Agile Development (Programming)
- AIX (Operating Systems)
- Apple Macintosh OS (Operating Systems)
- AppleTalk (Networks)
- Application Architecture (Application Development)
- Application Integration (Application Development)
- Application Migration (Project Management)
- Application Server 10G (Database Development & Admin - Oracle)
- Backup Systems (Project Management)
- BEA MessageQ (IT Tools/Middleware)
- BEA WebLogic Server (Server Software)
- Borland (Application Development - RAD)
- Borland (Programming - RAD)
- C (Programming)
- C Shell (Operating Systems)
- Change Management (Project Management)
- Configuration Management (IT Management)
- Consultancy (IT Management)
- Corba (Server Software - Visibroker)
- CORBA (IT Tools/Middleware)
- CSS (Web Development/Prog)
- Data Architecture (Database Development & Admin)
- Databases (Project Management)
- Design (Project Management)
- DNS (Networks)
- DOS (Programming)
- DOS (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- EDIFact (Electronic Data Interchange)
- Enterprise Systems (Project Management)
- FTP (Networks)
- Full Project Lifecycle (Project Management)
- HP (Operating Systems)
- HPUX (Operating Systems - HP)
- J2EE (Project Management)
- Jakarta Tomcat (Server Software)
- Java (Server Software - Visibroker)
- Java Web Server (Server Software)
- JSP (Web Development/Prog)
- Korn Shell (Operating Systems)
- LAN (Networks)
- Linux (Operating Systems)
- Man Management (Project Management)
- Managing Suppliers (Project Management)
- Mentoring (Project Management)
- Microsoft (Operating Systems)
- MySQL (Database Development & Admin)
- Oracle (Project Management)
- Oracle (Database Development & Admin)
- Oracle App Server (Server Software)
- PHP (Web Development/Prog)
- Pocket PC (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Problem Management (IT Management)
- Programme Management
- Project Management (Project Management)
- RAD (Application Development)
- RAD (Programming)
- Red Hat (Operating Systems - Linux)
- Risk Management
- SC (Security Clearance)
- Senior Management (IT Management)
- Server Deployment (Project Management)
- SMTP (Networks)
- Software Evaluation (IT Management)
- Software Implementation (IT Management)
- Software Selection (IT Management)
- Solutions Delivery Management (IT Management)
- SQL (Project Management)
- Subcontractor Management (IT Management)
- SUSE (Operating Systems - Linux)
- System Architect (IT Tools/Middleware)
- Systems Management (IT Management)
- TCP/IP (Networks)
- Technical Documentation (Project Management)
- Technical Management (IT Management)
- Technical Standards Development (IT Management)
- Tibco (IT Tools/Middleware)
- Together/J (IT Tools/Middleware)
- UML (Programming)
- Visibroker (Server Software)
- Web Services (Project Management)
- Win32 (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Windows 2000 (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Windows 2003 (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Windows 9x (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Windows CE (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Windows NT (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Windows Vista (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- Windows XP (Operating Systems - Microsoft)
- WINS (Networks)
- X Windows (Operating Systems)
- Xenix (Operating Systems)