Freelance Entrepreneur and business advisor Eastbourne, East Sussex, UK
A business advisor specialising in business planning, product development and fund raising for high growth start-ups. In addition to providing hands on business advice to hundreds of companies, I also have experience as running my own high-tech start up and am a Prince2 trained product and business development professional specialising in the commercialisation of complex scientific equipment.
|Hourly Rate / Cost:||£52.94 per hour (ex. VAT)|
|Daily Rate / Cost:||£423.53 per day (ex. VAT)|
: Offers a discounted hourly rate to registered charities
|: Freelancer has their own limited company|
About QR Codes
people4 is the first employment business to generate QR codes.
Now users with a smart-phone scanning app can store this information - including job title, brief description and a link to this page - to use when ready to shortlist or set up a contract.
For more information, see the wikipedia article on QR Codes
CV (Curriculum Vitae) / Résumé
I have a wide range of experiences having worked:
i) As the founder and director of a photonics company which translates photonics research into new products for industry and academia. My company owns five patent applications, 2 registered designs and a European trademark and so I have a lot of experience of applying for IP and the processes involved.
ii) As a business consultant specialising in technology transfer and commercialisation of new ideas
iii) In the research function of a large FTSE 100 company where my main role was open innovation and technology transfer (bringing new ideas from SME's and academia to market). I am author on six of the companies patents.
iv) In academia as a postdoctoral researcher in the UK and the USA.
This wide and varied experience gives me a unique insight into businesses both large and small and has enabled me to build up a vast network of very competent professional people across East Sussex and beyond.
My specialism is in helping people and organisations commercialise new ideas and to develop them to the point where they can be manufactured and sold. Through my own company, I have brought my own products to market and as part of Amersham plc I was part of a large team that brought a very complex system to the pharmaceutical market. I have also advised over 150 companies and individuals on developing their own products and services as a business consultant.
If you have a new idea or would like assistance expanding your existing business we can help. We can help you to develop a business plan that will appeal to funders and have a wide network of business angels and bank managers. We can also help you to apply for business grants and develop your proposition.
(Mar 2008 & ongoing)
Bee Purple 1 to 1 business advisorBrighton
Bee Purple supports U. Brighton associates who are setting up in business. I am part of the Bee Purple extended team and offer 1 on 1 confidential advice to Bee Purple members on their business issues. In the past 18 months, I have advised over 50 staff, students and alumni on a wide range of business issues across a wide range of sectors.
(Sep 2006 & ongoing)
I am a business consultant for Reydoog Ltd and offer specialist practical hands-on support for businesses looking to expand by commercialising a new idea. I can help you to nurture and grow your concept all the way to a thriving business. Our services include business planning, fund raising, guidance on intellectual property issues and networking.
If you have a new idea or would like assistance expanding your existing business I can help. I can help you to develop a business plan that will appeal to funders and have a wide network of business angels and bank managers. We can also help you to apply for business grants and develop your proposition.
(Sep 2003 & ongoing)
ZiNIR is a technology development company specialising in translating leading photonics research into useful, flexible products for industry & academia.
I am working on a number of projects including:
ALPHABRIGHT. I have designed and the company now manufactures and sells a high quality visible-NIR broadband light source for scientists and engineers. AlphaBright is a specialist product and has a number of advantages over the competition including its brightness. I have successfully brought a product all the way from a concept and outline design to a fully CE marked product.
NIR SPECTROSCOPY. ZiNIR has built a novel two detector NIR spectrometer and are experts in NIR spectroscopy and multivariate data analysis techniques (PCA). The AlphaBright light source is ideal for chemical analysis of poorly reflecting samples such as soil and rubber.
SOLID STATE DEVICES. ZiNIR's current research interests lie in the design of solid state sensors, detectors and light sources and I am the project manager for this project.
(Sep 2006 to Dec 2009)
Hub ConsultantEastbourne / Hastings
The SEEDA Enterprise Hubs were set up to help high-tech, high-growth companies to succeed by offering a number of intensive support services. In this role, I worked as part of the extended Hub team to deliver business support services to a range of micro-businesses across East Sussex and Brighton who were looking to commercialise new ideas. I specialised in fund-raising and business planning helping to write and review over 50 business plans and over 100 grant applications. I worked with and intensively supported over 100 businesses and helped to raise over £2m in funding for the business that I worked with over a three year period.
(Sep 1999 to Mar 2003)
ScientistAmersham Biosciences, Cardiff
Recruited into the R&D department at Amersham Biosciences (now GE Healthcare) at their Cardiff site. My role was to invent (or source) new products for the company and then to develop the ideas to the point where they were for handover to manufacture. This was essentially an inventor, open innovator and product developer role.
IN CELL Analyzer. I worked mainly on developing fluorescent cell lines and assays for the IN Cell analyzer. I also worked extensively on debugging and testing the IN Cell analyzer and getting the product ready for market. This included a 3 month sabbatical to the company's Silicon Valley site where the product was developed and manufactured. I worked closely with BioImage of Denmark in bringing their GFP cell lines to market and with Prof. Jon Pines at U. Cambridge on developing a stable GFP based cell cycle marker cell line
PhD in Molecular Cell Biology
(This Candidate has recently been shortlisted or contracted for the following people4 assignments)
- Marketing- Creation of Events Concepts: Creation of Events Concepts Our client is a professional services company providing Part time Finance Directors to SMEs that have the need for the expertise but not the requirement or budget for a full time person. They are evangelists for SMEs particularly early stage Tech businesses to which they offer services Pro Bono, deferred and contingent upon successful fund raising as well as regular fees associated with role of FD.
- Project Manager: Project management of the implementation of a fostering agency IT system called CHARMS proceeded by (phase 1) documenting the business administrative processes. This will involve flow charting administrative processes and resource allocation in detail to identify areas for possible improvement prior to the system’s introduction.
- Strategy & Innovation Excellence Trainer: We are looking to fill the position of Key-note Speaker & Workshop Presenter at our Strategy & Innovation Excellence workshop series in London, Shanghai, Mumbai and Johannesburg. The successful applicant will lead a team providing workshop-training services 2 days every month, in addition to 1 days preparation and 1 day of de-briefing. The first project will be in London in May.
Categories & Freelance Skills
- Biochemist (Research)
- Biological Sciences (Research)
- Bio-sensors (Research)
- Cell/Molecular Biology (Research)
- Instrumentation (Research)
- Parasitology (Research)
- PCR (Research)
- Technical Sales Support (Research)
- Association of Project Management (Scientific & Technical - Education Level)
- BSC or Equivalent (Scientific & Technical - Education Level)
- Budgets (Scientific & Technical - Experience - Project Management)
- Change Management (Scientific & Technical - Experience - Project Management)
- Definition Document (Scientific & Technical - Experience - Project Management)
- Design (Scientific & Technical - Experience - Project Management)
- Education Level (Engineering)
- Education Level (Scientific & Technical)
- Micro-Optical Components (Engineering - Experience)
- Nanotechnology (Engineering - Experience)
- Optical Design (Engineering - Experience)
- Performance Reporting (Scientific & Technical - Experience - Project Management)
- Planning (Scientific & Technical - Experience - Project Management)
- Prince2 (Scientific & Technical - Experience - Project Management)
- Prince2 Qualified (Engineering - Education Level)
- Prince2 Qualified (Scientific & Technical - Education Level)
- Programme Management (Scientific & Technical - Experience)
- Project Development Manager (Scientific & Technical - Job Role)
- Project Management (Scientific & Technical - Experience)
- Project Manager (Engineering - Job Role)
- Project Manager (Scientific & Technical - Job Role)
- R&D Associate (Scientific & Technical - Job Role)
- Research & Development (Scientific & Technical - Experience)
- Mentoring (Project Management)
- Project Initiation Document (Project Management)
- Project Management (Project Management)
- SQL (Project Management)
- Bid Advice (Tender Process)
- Bid Preparation (Tender Process)
- Business Development (Business Consulting)
- Business Plan Creation (Financial Consulting)
- Business Plan Creation (Business Consulting)
- Business Plan Creation (Project Consultancy)
- Business Planning (Business Consulting)
- Clarity (Project Consultancy)
- Company Start-up
- Corporate Finance (Financial Consulting)
- Excel (Project Consultancy - Microsoft)
- Excel (Microsoft)
- Finance (Project Consultancy)
- Mentoring (Project Consultancy)
- Microsoft (Project Consultancy)
- Networking (Business Consulting)
- Patents/Trademarks (Business Consulting)
- Powerpoint (Project Consultancy - Microsoft)
- PowerPoint (Microsoft)
- PRINCE2 (Project Consultancy)
- Product Development (Business Consulting)
- Project (Project Consultancy - Microsoft)
- Project (Microsoft)
- Project Management (Project Consultancy)
- Small Business Development (Business Consulting)
- SME (Project Consultancy)
- SME Sector
- Strategic Analysis (Business Consulting)
- Tender Process
- Venture Capital
- Word (Project Consultancy - Microsoft)
- Word (Microsoft)