Freelance Senior Consultant and Programme Manager Buckinghamshire, UK
Senior Consultant & Project Manager with extensive experience gained in implementing critical change in politically sensitive areas of the public sector.
|Hourly Rate / Cost:||£58.82 per hour (ex. VAT)|
|Daily Rate / Cost:||£470.59 per day (ex. VAT)|
: Offers a discounted hourly rate to registered charities
|: Freelancer has their own limited company|
About QR Codes
people4 is the first employment business to generate QR codes.
Now users with a smart-phone scanning app can store this information - including job title, brief description and a link to this page - to use when ready to shortlist or set up a contract.
For more information, see the wikipedia article on QR Codes
CV (Curriculum Vitae) / Résumé
An excellent track record in delivering results for the Home Office and Police Service has led to identifiable improvements in service to the public and in crime reduction. This included creating and securing buy in from up to 60 national stakeholder organisations on several key new standards relating to customer contact, customer service and call handling; as well as a new initiative which introduced long overdue consistency in national crime and incident recording.
Transferable skills include: handling the requirements and expectations of clients from the Home Secretary, junior Ministers and Chief Police Officers, to civilian and police staff handling calls from the public; creation, implementation and monitoring of policy, new standards and service commitments; performance management and quality; similar advisory work for European police forces; and project managing direct and virtual teams to 300, with budgets to £4m.
Now seeks demanding opportunities in the private or public sector to capitalise on existing skills whilst expanding experience into new business areas.
- Strategy: Working with top level Ministers and stakeholders on strategies which led to the successful creation and implementation of new national standards and policies in a public sector organisation with a lot of outdated local customs, practice and even fiefdoms. Strategies included winning support at every level in order to overcome deeply entrenched resistance to change.
- Leadership: Both as an operational senior police officer and as an in house change manager and consultant led large teams to achieve outstanding results to time and budget. Managed through setting clear objectives and providing supportive mentoring and monitoring to ensure their fulfilment.
- Project /Programme Management: Includes stakeholder risk, change and performance management; audit, review, inspection and other compliance assurance activity; effective use of various quality management tools and techniques – EFQM Award Assessor, Prince2, Six Sigma, process mapping and engineering, strategic and operational facilitation; benchmarking.
- International Relationship Management: In addition to UK and European advisory work on quality and standards managed two very successful European Improving Policing (EIP) Conferences attracting over 350 senior police officers from 40 countries. Co-founded EIP with Dutch police. Managed an ongoing programme of good practice exchange between the MPS and various Dutch Police Forces (LARN Agreement).
(2009 to 2010)
Final role prior to retiring from the Police service after 30 years (Certificate of Exemplary service).
▪ Led policy review of use of work based assessment for promotion to Police Sergeant and Inspector. Recommendations accepted.
▪ Continued advisory work for Home Office, Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) and NIPA on developments in Police Contact Management.
(1980 to 2010)
From Police Constable to Superintendent
(2007 to 2009)
Seconded to the National Improving Policing Agency (NIPA) as the national authority on Police/Public contact management. This was a business critical initiative to align the police service customer contact with public and private sector best practice.
▪ Took key role in creation of National Contact Management Standard and its implementation throughout police forces nationally.
▪ This covered all contacts including 60 million initial contact calls per year.
▪ Set up benchmarking exercise with NHS, Fire Service and BT International.
▪ Led project to implement the Government’s Policing Pledge which defined minimum service commitments. (Commended by Ministers and ACPO).
▪ Developed monitoring processes on compliance with service commitments.
▪ Creation of these new policies required managing the involvement of over 60 government and non-government agencies/stakeholders.
▪ Managed eight senior managers and 70 staff plus a £2m operating budget.
(2003 to 2007)
Home Office Police Standards Unit. Following previous work on serious disparities in crime reporting was asked to remain at Home Office to create two new Standards.
▪ Created and implemented National Standard for Incident Recording Policy that deals with the recording of non crime calls for service. (Relates annually to over £5bn opportunity costs).
▪ Developed policy on minimum appropriate service level Police should provide.
▪ Developed National Call-Handling Standards for police call centres and Help desks, achieving improved service delivery and enhanced customer satisfaction.
▪ Delivered both Standards on time with full stakeholder support and buy-in.
▪ Commended by Home Secretary, ACPO and two high level crime reviews.
▪ Played lead role in delivery of 2003 European Improving Policing (EIP) Conference in Poland: commended by Polish Prime Minister and Chief of Police.
▪ Led senior project management team and responsible for a £4m budget.
(2001 to 2003)
National Crime Reporting ManagerHome Office
Seconded to Research, Development and Statistics Office. The project resulted from research into widespread disparity in recording of crime and incidents. This led to the Review of Crime Statistics and the HMIC ‘on the Record’ reviews of data capture within the Police Service being published.
▪ Programme managed delivery of 78 joint review recommendations.
▪ Created and implemented a Policy/Standard to manage recording of notifiable Crime, a national governance structure and an advice/help website.
▪ Led foundation work to develop the new Fraud Act.
▪ Created an approach to management of multi-agency development of policy which was adopted as best practice.
▪ Played lead role in delivering 2001 EIP conference in Manchester attended by 350 senior Police Managers from over 40 countries.
▪ Provided advice/ guidance on quality management to overseas police forces.
(1999 to 2001)
Chief Inspector/Acting SuperintendentMPS Camden
With 900 staff one of the largest and most challenging command units in the UK.
▪ Senior operational role in critical/major incident and public order management plus responsibility for performance management and audit/inspection.
▪ Managed development of three year joint partner agency Crime Reduction and the multi-agency Drugs and Alcohol Action Team plans.
▪ Created and implemented an innovative performance management system.
(1997 to 1998)
Inspector/Chief InspectorQuality Performance & Policy Unit
▪ Created MPS manual of Quality Tools and Techniques, the MPS Four level Audit and Inspection process and MPS Performance Management system.
▪ Co-founded European Improving Policing network and helped create with Dutch Police a European good practice data base.
▪ Managed the adoption of EFQM/Business Excellence in the MPS.
(1996 to 1998)
Quality Assurance InspectorMPS Wembley
(1980 to 1996)
Various operational roles from Police Officer to Acting Inspector
( 2008 to )
Civil Service College
▪ Diploma: Business Consultancy (degree equivalent)
( 2007 to )
Civil Service College
▪ Certificate: Business Consultancy
( 1991 to )
West London College
▪ HNC: Public Administration
▪ Fellow of the Institute of Consulting (FIC)
▪ Queen’s Jubilee Medal
▪ Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal
Continuous Professional Development
▪ Programme/Project Management Prince2; Six Sigma; Facilitation
▪ Initial and Advanced Process Mapping & Engineering
▪ EFQM Model Use; EFQM Award Assessor; Benchmarking
▪ Public Sector Finance; Performance Management; Statistical Analysis
Categories & Freelance Skills
- Absence Management (Performance Management)
- Analysis (Corporate/HR Strategy - Organisation)
- Appraisal Training (Performance Management)
- Appraising Performance (Performance Management)
- Business Performance (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Career Development (Training & Development)
- Career Management (Training & Development)
- Change Management (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Coaching & Mentoring (Training & Development)
- Communication Strategy (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Corporate Governance (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Course Material Development (Training & Development)
- Culture Assessment (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Culture Change (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Delivery (Training & Development - Training)
- Design (Corporate/HR Strategy - Organisation)
- Development (Corporate/HR Strategy - Organisation)
- Disciplinary Issues (Performance Management)
- Economic Analysis (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Employee Surveys (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Ethics (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Evaluation (Training & Development - Training)
- Executive Development (Training & Development)
- HR Infrastructure (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- HR Operations (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- HR Process Design (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- HR Strategy (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Interim Management (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Knowledge Management (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Leadership (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- Leadership Development (Training & Development)
- Managerial Development (Training & Development)
- Managing Difficult People (Performance Management)
- Methods (Training & Development - Training)
- Needs Analysis (Training & Development - Training)
- Organisation (Corporate/HR Strategy)
- People Development (Training & Development)
- Policies (Training & Development - Training)
- Programme Design (Training & Development - Training)
- Progression Planning (Training & Development)
- Restructuring (Corporate/HR Strategy - Organisation)
- Secondment (Training & Development)
- Staff Morale (Performance Management)
- Team Building (Training & Development)
- Team Building (Performance Management)
- Training (Training & Development)
- £10M and over (Project Consultancy - Project Value)
- £1M to £5M (Project Consultancy - Project Value)
- £500K to £1M (Project Consultancy - Project Value)
- £5M to £10M (Project Consultancy - Project Value)
- Budget Control (Project Consultancy)
- Business Continuity (Project Consultancy)
- Business Impact Analysis (Project Consultancy)
- Business Intelligence (Project Consultancy)
- Business Plan Creation (Project Consultancy)
- Business Planning (Business Consulting)
- Business Reengineering (Business Consulting)
- Campaign Management (Project Consultancy)
- Change Management (Project Consultancy)
- Full Project Lifecycle (Project Consultancy)
- Functional Documentation (Project Consultancy)
- Government Procurement (Project Consultancy)
- Lean Processes
- Mentoring (Project Consultancy)
- Multinational Organisation (Project Consultancy)
- Multiple Projects (Project Consultancy)
- OGC Gateway Reviews (Project Consultancy)
- PRINCE2 (Project Consultancy)
- Process Change (Project Consultancy)
- Programme Management (Project Consultancy)
- Project Initiation Document (Project Consultancy)
- Project Management (Project Consultancy)
- Project Office Mgmt (Project Consultancy)
- Project Support (Project Consultancy)
- Project Value (Project Consultancy)
- Public Sector (Project Consultancy)
- Up to £500K (Project Consultancy - Project Value)