Freelance HR Consultant & Trainer London, Greater London, UK
CIPD qualified HR & training consultant & IIP specialist, 17 years' HR experience. Start-up HR functions, writing people management policies, handling performance & dispute issues, skills training.
|Hourly Rate / Cost:||£52.94 per hour (ex. VAT)|
|Daily Rate / Cost:||£423.53 per day (ex. VAT)|
: Offers a discounted hourly rate to registered charities
About QR Codes
people4 is the first employment business to generate QR codes.
Now users with a smart-phone scanning app can store this information - including job title, brief description and a link to this page - to use when ready to shortlist or set up a contract.
For more information, see the wikipedia article on QR Codes
CV (Curriculum Vitae) / Résumé
I am a fully qualified HR and training professional with 17 years’ post-graduate experience, 3 years as a freelance consultant.
I am a Fellow Member of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development, a qualified Employment Law Paralegal and member of the British Society of Specialist Paralegals, & a trained Investors In People specialist adviser/assessor.
I have worked in HR roles to senior management level in a variety of industries including:
Logistics, distribution and freight forwarding
Not For Profit sector and professional membership bodies
I particularly specialise in start-up HR functions for SMEs, including writing all required staffing policies and procedures and staff handbooks, and providing training for line management and staff on key issues. I have significant experience of handling conduct & capability issues including absence management, performance management, disciplinaries, grievances & investigations.
An accomplished trainer, I have designed & delivered training seminars & workshops throughout my career for staff & management at all levels, in HR processes, business skills & personal effectiveness.
I am also experienced in helping organisations achieve Investors In People status through creation and implementation of initiatives and strategies designed to improve the performance of the organisation through its people management practices.
(Sep 2002 to Feb 2008)
HR achievements and responsibilities
o Created and implemented numerous new or revised policies and procedures including performance management and review, flexible working, absence management, diversity, data protection, health and safety and dispute resolution, Corporate Social Responsibility, and disaster recovery.
o Introduced psychometric testing and Occupational Personality Questionnaires and competency based interviewing, including administering and scoring the tests and questionnaires and interpreting the results.
o Reporting to Directorate, attending Board meetings, presenting HR issues and making strategic recommendations
o Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of employment law and ensuring compliance.
o Co-ordinated successful Investors In People re-assessments, including against revised standards, and contributed to success through improved practices.
o Introduced computerized personnel records and reports, and H.R. performance indicator Management Information reports
o Successful administration and co-ordination of salary review, monthly payroll, re-issue of terms and conditions, appraisal process and general day-to-day administrative processes
o Analysed temp usage and costs, and instigated a new process of increased use of direct temps, leading to a significant reduction in temp staff costs.
o Prepared employment tribunal paperwork, liaised with solicitors and attended and gave evidence at week-long tribunal, which resulted in the case against the company being dismissed.
o Member of company Data Protection Group and Business Continuity Team.
Training achievements and responsibilities
o Designing and delivering management and staff training including employment law, interviewing skills, absence management, disciplinary and grievance, training needs analysis, provision and evaluation, Data Protection and reduced training costs through increased in-house provision.
o Created and implemented a new Learning and Development policy, initiating a more structured approach towards analysis of training needs, more creative methods of provision of training, learning and development, and evaluation of training.
o Devised, organized and presented cross-divisional teambuilding/training awaydays
(Oct 2001 to Aug 2002)
o Conducting dispute resolution activities – disciplinaries, dismissals, grievances, investigations etc. – and preparing Employment Tribunal paperwork
o Provision of advice and support including employee resourcing, development, industrial relations, reward, performance management, maternity and paternity, and communication.
o Involvement in the drafting, updating and implementation of Company staffing policies and procedures.
o Monitored and advised on compliance with employment legislation and Best Practice within the business, including dealing with dispute resolution, disciplinaries, grievances, Employment Tribunals, TUPE etc.
o Designing and presenting internal training courses for managerial and supervisory staff on internal policies and procedures and people management skills, including appraisals, setting objectives, providing feedback, dealing with criticism etc.
(Aug 1999 to Oct 2001)
HR AdviserErnst & Young, Manchester
o Graduate Induction Training – designing, presenting and co-ordinating training for new graduate recruits. Included topics such as teamworking, presentation skills, project management, risk management, business writing etc.
o Summer Vacation Scheme - designing, presenting and co-ordinating training for undergraduates. Similar to above, plus sessions on job applications, how to handle interviews etc.
o Facilitating training groups and providing advice, guidance and feedback for employees on courses including Recruitment Skills (criteria based interviewing) and Counselling Skills. Included use of role-plays.
o Induction training for all new starters.
o Coaching and facilitating on Career Development Workshops – involved taking groups of employees through team-based training activities and chairing debriefing meetings to identify learning points. Also provided 1-1 feedback and counselling to individual staff
o Competency-based interviewing to recruit staff at all levels.
o Organised, ran and assessed at structured assessment centres involving individual and group exercises and psychometric testing.
Range of generalist HR duties and responsibilities
(Jun 1998 to Aug 1999)
Personnel ManagerDelavan Ltd (Engineering), Widnes
Generalist HR responsibilities: Setting up and running the company’s first Personnel department
o Creating and implementing all Personnel policies and procedures to comply with employment legislation and Codes of Practice
o Advising management on all Personnel issues, particularly current employment law.
o Recruitment and selection of office and warehouse staff using criteria-based interviews, psychometric testing and OPQs
o Grievance, disciplinary and dismissal handling
o Maintenance of all Personnel records, admin, reports and statistics
o Health and Safety co-ordination and provision of information; chairing meetings and ensuring compliance with current legal requirements, writing Basic Safe Systems manual
o Basic Health and Safety training including emergency procedures and accident awareness
o Presenting briefings and training staff in new Personnel policies and procedures, such as absence management and handling disciplinaries and grievances
o Maintaining Training Information noticeboards, with a variety of training themes and materials
(Oct 1996 to Jun 1998)
Personnel ManagerTrident International (Freight Forwarding), Manchester
Setting up and running the company’s first Personnel department.
Duties similar to above, plus:
o Preparation and presentation of internal training events
o Employee relations and communications, including introduction of newsletter, staff surveys, team briefings etc.
o All strategies involved in Investors In People initiative, including appraisal/review process and writing Employee Handbook
(May 1995 to Sep 1996)
Personnel OfficerPark Cake Bakeries, Bolton
o Induction training – predominantly Health and Safety and Food Hygiene intensive training for new starters.
o Range of generalist HR responsibilities
(Nov 1994 to May 1995)
HR TraineeTechnology PLc (Sales division of ICL), Warrington
Generalist HR role - graduate training programme
Currently undergoing Level VI Diploma in Business & Management Consulting
Registered Investors In People specialist, with Inspiring Business Performance.
SHL Levels A and B – Qualified in Psychometric Testing, Occupational Personality Questionnaires
Basic Health and Safety at Work Certificate
(Apr 2007 to Apr 2008)
University of Strathclyde
Specialist Paralegal Certificate in Employment Law
(Sep 1992 to Jun 1994)
Manchester Metropolitan University
Diploma in Personnel Management (CIPD qualification)
(Sep 1989 to Jun 1991)
University of Nottingham
BA (Hons) Social Policy and Administration
Sociology and Psychology subsidiaries
(Sep 1986 to Jun 1988)
Parrs Wood High School
Parrswood High School, Manchester
‘A’ Levels: Biology B, Geography C, Maths/Stats D, General Studies C
(Sep 1981 to Jun 1986)
Mount Carmel School
‘O’ levels: 6 at grade A, 4 at grade B
o Interviewing in wide range of situations including recruitment, dispute resolution, investigations etc.
o Participated in mock interviews and learning workshops for school and University students
o Various workplace and University committee posts - teamwork, participation in group discussion and the ability to manage conflict.
o Nightline telephone counsellor - requires sensitivity, supportiveness and active listening skills.
o Arranged all aspects of 3 day and 5 day residential and non-residential training events involving up to 40 delegates
o Voluntary Work Representative – co-ordinated encouraged voluntary work activities for students.
o Committee positions – arranged and promoted social events, publicity campaigns etc.
Group facilitation and Motivation
o Facilitated team activities at Industrial Society ‘Challenge to Industry’ events
o Nightline Training Group Leader - coached and prepared new recruits.
o Mentoring students through Business Education Partnership scheme and UK Careers Academy Foundation
ADDITIONAL SKILLS and INTERESTS
o PC systems - Fully confident with Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Internet and various E-mail packages and Personnel databases
o English Speaking Board - Senior Grade 3, Credit
o Full clean driving licence
o Casual work as Supporting Artist for TV and film productions, and photographic modelling.
o Spare time activities - theatre, gym, cinema, reading, international travel.
- Find Trainers with Evaluation skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Interviewing skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Recruitment skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Personnel Records skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Workshops skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Senior Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Employment Law skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Risk Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Business Writing skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Policies skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Performance Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Writing skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Development skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Project Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Management Skills skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Business skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Information Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Business Performance skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Investors in People skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Business Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Induction Training skills in London.
- Find Trainers with People Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Procedures skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Process skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Start-up skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Management skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Employee Relations skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Staff Training skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Data Protection skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Needs Analysis skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Counselling skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Personnel skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Safety skills in London.
- Find Trainers with HR skills in London.
- Find Trainers with Absence Management skills in London.
(This Candidate has recently been shortlisted or contracted for the following people4 assignments)
- HR Consultant: We are are growing wine importer who would like the assistance of a HR consultant to assist us in the following; - Performance management and improvement tracking system - Employee orientation, development, and training logistics and recordkeeping - Assisting with employee relations - Company employee communication - Compensation and benefits administration and recordkeeping - Employee safety, welfare, wellness and health reporting - Employee services
- Freelance HR: Our client is looking for a Freelance HR candidate to work on a Ad Hoc basis, to help out with there policy procedures, and more technical and legal HR issues. The right candidate shall have past HR experience and a legal background. If you're interested please contact Hannah Cockill at People4business for more details; 0845 371 0722 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- HR Trainer: Advanced Practices of HR Managers: HR Trainer - Advanced Practices of HR Managers Training: Geneva - 6 – 8 February 2012 Flight ticket, accommodation and meals are paid for. Detailed program is below. Trainees will be Azerbaijani nationals, with interpreter provided by the client. To apply for this training job, please contact Alexis Taylor - email@example.com
Categories & Freelance Skills
- Corporate/HR Strategy
- Employee Relations
- Employment Law
- Equality & Diversity
- Health/Safety & Wellbeing
- HR Administration
- Performance Management
- Talent Management
- Training & Development
- Course Material Development (Training & Development)
- Induction Training (Training & Development)
- Leadership Development (Training & Development)
- Managerial Development (Training & Development)
- People Development (Training & Development)
- Succession Planning (Training & Development)
- Team Building (Training & Development)
- Course Delivery (HR Consulting - Training)
- Course Design (HR Consulting - Training)
- Employee Communications (HR Consulting)
- Employment Law (HR Consulting)
- Health & Safety (HR Consulting)
- HR Plans (HR Consulting)
- HR Policies (HR Consulting)
- HR Strategy (HR Consulting)
- Management Development (HR Consulting)
- Needs Analysis (HR Consulting - Training)
- Psychometric Testing/Analysis (HR Consulting)
- Recruitment - Staff (HR Consulting)
- Redundancy (HR Consulting)
- SME Sector
- Team Building (HR Consulting)
- Training (HR Consulting)