Freelance Accountant, Finance, Manager Hayling Island, Hampshire, UK
Trained at Arthur Andersen specialising in Corporate Recovery.
Extensive music and media experience.
Finance and Business Affairs Director; Property Developer
|Hourly Rate / Cost:||£31.76 per hour (ex. VAT)|
|Daily Rate / Cost:||£254.12 per day (ex. VAT)|
About QR Codes
people4 is the first employment business to generate QR codes.
Now users with a smart-phone scanning app can store this information - including job title, brief description and a link to this page - to use when ready to shortlist or set up a contract.
For more information, see the wikipedia article on QR Codes
CV (Curriculum Vitae) / Résumé
(Jan 2010 to Jan 2012)Hampshire / London
• Production of Sales ledger, rechargeable and overhead invoices, bank reconciliations, petty cash and staff expenses
• Production of purchase ledger
• Monitor cash flow, cost control, revenue recognition and debt control
• Produce monthly forecasting, client profitability and time utilisation
• Preparation of monthly management accounts pack P&L balance sheet with relevant commentary and analysis for review by owners/directors
• Monthly payroll preparation and submission
• Preparation of VAT returns, Inland Revenue returns (PAYE, P11ds) and other compliance.
• On-going development of accounting systems, procedures and controls to ensure best practice internally at all times
• Work closely with the Client to ensure full recoverability of costs where appropriate
• Provide commercial and financial support to the owners/directors
• Provide advice, guidance and on-going education with a view to improving financial awareness of all employees and ensure controls are adhered to by all staff
• Preparation of statutory accounts, corporation tax returns, liaison with the auditors and tax advisors.
• Assisting with the preparation of annual budgets
(Jan 2004 to Jan 2010)
• With a partner raising funds to buy and refurbish various properties over this time with a view to letting. (portfolio valued at £3.5M last year)
• The first house was bought for £554,700; £50k was spent over 4 months resulting in the house being valued at £800k.
• The last project was a large run down property bought for @£600k and converted into flats.
• Identifying investment opportunities
• Developing relationships with estate agents, auctioneers etc
• Budgeting, cash flow forecasting and monitoring spend
• Supervision of builders and architects
• Monitoring planning applications and liaising with local authorities
• Liaising with the bank(s) and producing debenture monitoring reports
• The total portfolio value was in excess of £3.5M.
(Jan 2003 to Jan 2004)2003 – 2004: Consultant to Casual Records.
• Securing finance
• Negotiating production and distribution deal with 3MV
• All business affairs including artist and license contracts
• Royalty accounting
• Over-seeing production through Elevate
• Co-ordinating various compilations including Soul 2 Soul, Country Got Soul and Way Beyond Nashville
• Dealing with artists including Lady Sovereign and signing her for her first ever deal and securing her Puma sponsorship
(Jan 1996 to Jan 2003)
Finance and Business Affairs DirectorWall Of Sound Recordings , London
At Wall of Sound:
• Applied accounting skills to real small/medium company, overseeing and managing a period of rapid growth and success.
• Arranged re-financing of undercapitalised company with Coutts (My referee was head of their music and entertainment division at the time.)
• Implemented new accounting structure and adapted from scratch a new accounting package, tailoring it to the industry. This was so successful other companies and groups (such as Radiohead’s managers) asked for the same on a consultancy basis.
• Developed a UK, European and World distribution network unrivalled amongst the company’s peers.
• Managed all recruitment and staffing issues for 10 direct employees.
• Negotiated with high powered corporate individuals and many high profile managers.
• The skills acquired in manufacturing in the UK and organising a distribution network around the world to maximise returns could be applicable to a variety of businesses.
• Producing accounts, producing royalty statements (having adapted MYOB to produce these with new settings, chart of accounts etc), liaising with distributors (negotiating large advances and recoupment plans), liaising with licensors and licensees, reporting to the bank.
• Producing and monitoring cash flow forecasts
• Liaising with companies all over the world great success was achieved including a number one UK album, a number two UK single and European MTV video of the year (produced for only £14k)
• Being responsible for all business affairs for 4 labels; negotiating and signing acts and negotiating licensing deals for the catalogue all over the world but especially in the US and Europe.
• Negotiating UK distribution deals and many high profile advert and film licenses. All the smaller artist deals were done without the aid of a lawyer.
• The US direct product distribution deal was the first for a UK independent for 15 years and was reported in the US trade press.
• The largest European deal resulted in being pictured on the front page of Music Week – the trade magazine, with the European MD of Virgin, Charlie Dimont one of the original founders of Virgin with Richard Branson.
• The recruitment and management of up to 10 UK staff and setting up a New York satellite office.
Other Music Related Employment:
• Consultant for various music labels and managers.
• Representing the UK dance industry through AIM (Association of Independent Music) visiting countries such as Japan, Korea, and Taiwan etc on behalf of the UK Industry. Supported through government funding as the collective industry is a major contributor to the UK balance of trade.
1996 – 1998: Consultant to Dorado Records.
• Securing bank overdraft through Barclays Soho
• All royalty and company accounts
• Securing private investment of £100k from Peter Kindersley (owner of Dorling Kindersley the book publishers)
• Dealing with above regarding debenture monitoring on a monthly basis
• Over-seeing production and distribution
• The highest profile artist was Jhelisa
(Sep 1989 to Jan 1995)
Corporate Recovery AccountantArthur Andersen, London / various UK
At Arthur Andersen:
• Rated in top 5% of year and as outstanding on many evaluations
• Managed staff of up to 150 plus at various companies from early in career
• Learnt the value of attention to detail
• Learnt ability to work extreme hours under extreme pressure but still accurately. From appointment typically on a Friday afternoon, produced initial trading projections for appointing bank by Monday morning
1990– 1995: Arthur Andersen and Co
• Specialised in Corporate Recovery from the start and worked on many high profile cases including the Maxwell group of companies and Lotus Grand Prix team. Specialised in the hotel / hospitality industries.
• Responsible for producing trading forecasts (cash flow, P and L, B/S) and auditing employee forecasts.
• For most companies in receivership or administration becoming the onsite representative of the bank/appointor controlling all aspects of trading (Some companies had 150 plus staff).
• Working on many different projects from manufacturing to service industries.
• For companies unable to trade without making a loss being responsible for choosing which aspects of the business to concentrate on, those members of staff to be made redundant and implementing the new business plan.
ACCA conversion course pass (top in Quantitative Techniques)
ACCA PE1 pass
ACCA PE2 pass apart from audit referal
(Sep 1986 to Jul 1989)
London School of Economics
BSc Hons Mathematics and Philosophy 2:1
(Sep 1979 to Jun 1986)
• 8 O Levels – 5 grade A, 1 grade B, 2 grade C. 1 CSE grade 1
• 3 A Levels – 1 grade A, 2 grade B (Maths, Further Maths, Geography)
• Dogs/Walking - I have a Hungarian Viszla
• Swimming - I try and swim at least 1K per day
• Nature - I volunteer for a local wildlife reserve
• Art – I was Banksy’s manager; putting on some of his earliest shows, finding him a workspace in Clapham and buying some of his first work on canvas
(This Candidate has recently been shortlisted or contracted for the following people4 assignment)
- Freelance Accountant: Freelance Accountant - Hampshire - Two Days Per Week Freelance accountant required to work for small charity in Ringwood, Hampshire two days per week until the end of March. Must be familiar with SORP 2006 Please apply to Caroline Wootton - firstname.lastname@example.org - 0845 3710722
Categories & Freelance Skills
- Finance Management (Management)
- General Management (Management)
- Hotel Management (Management)
- Management (Management)
- Night Club Management (Management)
- Operations Management (Management)
- Pub/Bar Management (Management)
- Accounting (Software Experience)
- Accruals (Accountancy)
- BACS (Accountancy)
- Bank Reconciliations (Accountancy)
- Bookkeeping (Accountancy)
- Budgeting (Accountancy)
- Business Advisory (Finance (Qualified))
- Business Angels (Finance (Qualified) - Funding)
- Business Disposal (Project Management)
- Business Plan Creation (Financial Consulting)
- Business Planning (Finance (Qualified))
- Business Services (Accountancy - Sector Experience)
- Cash Handling (Accountancy)
- Cashflow Forecasting (Accountancy)
- Cashflow Management (Accountancy)
- CHAPS (Accountancy)
- Client Accounting (Accountancy)
- Control Account Reconciliations (Accountancy)
- Cost Control (Accountancy)
- Cost Control (Finance (Qualified))
- Cost Reduction (Finance (Qualified))
- Credit Notes/Refunds (Accountancy)
- Disaster Recovery Plan (Project Management)
- Expenses (Accountancy)
- Financial (Accountancy - Reporting)
- Financial Consulting
- Forecasting (Finance (Qualified))
- Fund Accounting (Accountancy)
- Funding (Finance (Qualified))
- General / Nominal Ledger (Accountancy)
- Housing and Property (Accountancy - Sector Experience)
- Insolvency (Finance (Qualified))
- Insolvency Administration (Financial Consulting)
- Intercompany Accounts (Accountancy)
- Invoicing/Billing (Accountancy)
- Job Level (Accountancy)
- Joint Venture Accounting (Accountancy)
- Journals (Accountancy)
- Leisure (Accountancy - Sector Experience)
- Management (Accountancy - Reporting)
- Management Skills (Accountancy)
- Media (Accountancy - Sector Experience)
- Medium Sized Team (5-9) (Accountancy - Management Skills)
- MYOB (Software Experience - Accounting)
- Part-Qualified Accountant (Accountancy - Job Level)
- Payroll (Accountancy)
- Prepayments (Accountancy)
- Pricing and Profitability (Accountancy)
- Product Accounting (Accountancy)
- Project Accounting (Accountancy)
- Purchase Ledger (Accountancy)
- Raising Finance - Funding (Finance (Qualified) - Funding)
- Receivership (Finance (Qualified))
- Reporting (Accountancy)
- Restructuring (Finance (Qualified))
- Royalty Accounting (Accountancy)
- Sales Ledger (Accountancy)
- Sector Experience (Accountancy)
- Start-up (Finance (Qualified))
- Statutury (Accountancy - Reporting)
- Supplier Invoices (Accountancy)
- Systems Accounting (Accountancy)
- Trial Balance (Accountancy)
- VAT Returns (Accountancy)
- 5 to 10 (Project Consultancy - Staff (numbers))
- Business Plan Creation (Financial Consulting)
- Business Plan Creation (Project Consultancy)
- Change Management (Project Consultancy)
- Company Sale
- Company Start-up
- Finance (Project Consultancy)
- Hospitality (Project Consultancy)
- Insolvency Administration (Financial Consulting)
- Investor Relations Management
- Management Buy Out/In
- Media (Project Consultancy)
- Non Executive Directorships
- Profit Improvement
- SME (Project Consultancy)
- SME Sector
- Staff (numbers) (Project Consultancy)
- Valuations (Financial Consulting)
- Commercials (Broadcasting)
- DVD (Broadcasting)
- Music (Broadcasting)
- Music Production (Broadcasting)
- Music Video (Broadcasting)
- Radio (Broadcasting)
- TV (Broadcasting)
- Video/Film Production (Broadcasting)